We may be a bit biased, but we LOVE the dentist.
We think the people who work at the office are great (as we pat ourselves on the back); that oral health and hygiene are important; and that there is no better feeling that that feeling after having your teeth cleaned.
But of course not everyone feels the same way. If you experience nervousness or anxiety about visiting the dentist, try these tips to stay calm and enjoy the experience as much as possible.
- Choose the right dentist. Make sure your dentist and dental office puts you at ease. A good office will take great measures to relax patients and treat them with care and compassion.
- Trust the technology. There have been great advances in dental technology since you got that first filling as a kid. Now, many dental treatments can be done nearly pain-free with the right technology.
- Listen to music. Listening to music can help tune out the noisy dental office and make it easier to relax. Feel free to bring your own, or we have headphones and a selection of music for you to choose from at Crescent Heights Dental.
- Try breathing techniques. Try deep breathing and relaxation techniques that you have picked up elsewhere. Found that last yoga class particularly relaxing? Try breathing as if you are at yoga.
- Try sedation dentistry. Many offices (such as Crescent Heights Dental) offer a variety of sedation or sleep dentistry options. Ask about what is available when you call to book your appointment.
- Practice good oral hygiene. If you practice good oral hygiene and have regular cleanings your appointment will be much easier.
- Schedule your appointment at a good time for you. Try to book your appointment at a time when you won’t be rushed and feeling stressed. If you know you only have 45 minutes before your next meeting or before soccer starts, reschedule for another time.
- Tell the dentist. You are definitely not the first person that has been nervous sitting in the dentist’s chair. Let them know that you’re a bit anxious, and they will work with you to get treatment done in a way that is most comfortable for you.
Book your next appointment with us, and let us help make it your best dental experience yet!